Saturday 8 March 2014

RAIN: Part 1:MAXIMUS

I always loved the rain. I felt somewhat safe whenever it rained. I could never comprehend this sense of security I obtained. It was six in the morning, and I was at the diner across the station where I worked as a detective. Unlike the stereotype law officials who drown themselves with caffeine, I for one despised the dirt-like after taste coffee gave off. It was a ritual for me to have sunny side eggs fried in bacon grease and a mug of honeyed milk to wash it all down. As I sat there, I couldn't help but stare at my office across the street with heavy contemplation. Although I couldn't see through the windows, I knew exactly what was waiting for me on my desk. As I forked the remaining bits of my breakfast around my plate idly, Betty the waitress came up frowning, bill in hand and said,"Look d'tectiv, we both know as sure as sunrise you ain't gonna finish that". She was right, I never finished anything. Even when it came to books, I always left the last page untouched. Another eccentric habit I guess. With laziness coursing through my veins, I forcefully pushed myself up, paid the bill and made my way out. As I reached for the bronze door know, I turned and asked," Could you get me maybe a dollar's worth o'bacon?". Pride loves bacon. Who doesn't anyway? There's probably a special place in hell for people who hate bacon. Pride was my 70 pound brawny beast of a German Shepherd. He was waiting right outside the diner, like he always did. As soon as I walked out bag in hand, he attacked his morning snack. Spilling all its precious content. Yet, he hurriedly gnawed at it all the same. Just then a patrol car pulled over the front of the station. From it two deputy sheriffs got off and helped a boy out from the back. He had a cast about his left shoulder and most of his shirt was soaked in blood. Whether it was his blood still remains a mystery. Not for long at least since I'll be interrogating him soon enough. As he shifted around, he happened to glance over at my direction. Our eyes met. A tremor ran down my spine. For the first time despite the rain, I felt vulnerable down to my bones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment